Ian Stirling

Default High temp. gasket material and source ?

Sheltech wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm looking for something resilient, strong enough and of the right consistency that I can punch holes in it
(preferably w/ a leather punch) and rated to 1100 F.

I got a piece of alumina/silica sheet gasket material from McMaster Carr -even talked to a guy from the vendor who said I'd be
able to drill or punch holes in it- and it turned out to be more like dense, crumbly cotton than anything . What a joke.

You can, you just don't use a leather punch, it's totally the wrong tool
for most gasket material at that temperature.

Is there a reason you need it to be flexible?
I can't think of much off-hand that will work.
Pure gold perhaps, some stainless steel based spring gaskets with
graphite, ...

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
Prosperity and ruin issue from the power of the tongue.