Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default Building a Floor

OP-

Joist depth needed is a function of span & spacing; check your local
code, check out some span calcuators on the web My 1930's hosue has
2x6 but they're supported every 4ft

also for long spans, to avoid winding up with a bouncy floor I would
suggest either reading & understanding

Canadian Building Digest
CBD-173. Floor Vibration

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd173_e.html

This is some very good work into the behavior of floor vibration

OR

short of doing the calcs (or having someone do them for you) I'd just
bump up to the next joist depth. I'd also consider engineered ood
joist for longer spans (again going deeper)

wood is cheap, problems are expensive

cheers
Bob

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 19 Jan 2006 08:49:35 -0800
Subject: Building a Floor

What would be the size of joist used in a one story house? 10" or 12"?