Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag

Default Curtis Air Tank

I forgot to mention that the 24" pipe was neatly split from end to end
as had been predicted. Looked just like a very large steel canoe. The
rip stopped at the dished heads on each end and was very uniform. I
have since heard of high pressure natual gas lines ripping for several
miles after failing due to damage from impact or internal
damage...evidently once a fracture starts, it can continue at very high
speed with relatively low energy input until a flange or valve stops
its progress. I wonder what precautions gas pipeline companies may or
may not now use to prevent such scenerios where lines go thru populated
areas? I know they do some internal testing with intrumented pigs for
flaw testing and I guess they are usually buried fairly deep but...