Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Oval conduit metal box + Q's..

In message , T i m
writes
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:53:48 +0000, chris French
wrote:

Understood Chris .. and by 'terminate' I don't really mean a real
engineering solution, just one where half the oval isn't looking at
some galv steel rather than hole?

That's east enough to arrange, usually I find it lines up ok, if not
little bit of packing does the job.

Ok, understood. Do they make boxes with OVAL knockouts!

Not that I know of.

It's also my thought that it might be easier to 'fill' a slightly
deeper chased slot filled with a round trunking *because* you have
more depth for any filler to attach to (someting wider and flatter
(and still plastic) being worse)?

no, sorry I think that's a load of rubbish :-)

Oh? From a mechanical point of view I can't see how you could get as
good a bond to the sides of a 10mm deep slot as you could to the sides
of a 20mm deep cut shrug?

Ok theoretically there might be better bond, practically I don't think
it makes any difference.

I'm also doing 15 of such drops so I want it to be as predictable as
possible?

All the more reason for not over engineering it then....?

Good point .. and you are probably right .. sigh ... cept I see it
as 'easier engineering' ...?

1) I find the idea of cutting a 20 x 20 slot (and breaking out the
centre rib) being easier than a 40 x 10 slot and breaking out the
middle to leave it flat and consistant, pleasing.

2) Knowing that my round tubing is mecanically attached to the box and
centered in the hole (and with no rubber grommets falling out) gives
me pleasure.

3) Being able to freely slide the cable through the trunking freely
(as a pair, often easy or one beside the other, often less easy),
rewarding.

4) Knowing that I can access any of it to replace / upgrade / move
later on, satisfying.

But no, I'll do what everyone else does because it's quicker, cheaper
or 'will do', in spite of that fact that none of those give me
satisfaction ..? big sigh

Then do it the way that gives you satisfaction, - isn't that one of the
benefits of diying
?
--
Chris French