Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Student

Default Crack in the basement wall

wrote in message
ups.com...

If the gutters go to downspouts that dump the water at the bottom of
the house....VERY BAD.

You need lines carrying the water well away from your home, either to a
low area or a dry well.

downspouts should never dump water near house.

fix that and your sump pump will run less.

the moving water can wash things out, on way to sump and cause settling

Thanks for your advice. One of the three downspouts dumps water on the
driveway, another one in front which has a 8-10 degree slope, and the last
one in the back of the house. I will definitely install extensions on the
latter two, however, I believe that this is not the only reason our sump
pump works more than I'd like. As I said, my neighbors have similar gutter
configuration and yet their sump isn't filling as much.