Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Burying Crawlspce AC Ductwork?

nhurst wrote:
Is it OK to bury AC ductwork in a crawlspace? I need to do some
repairs on my ducts because my crawlspace is very narrow (maybe 18-20
inches from dirt to joist in most areas), and the ducts have been
beaten up over the years by people scraping over them to get from one
place to another.

I was thinking that if, when I replaced the damaged duct, I made a
trench in the dirt, lined it with 18mil Visqueen, and put a piece of
plywood on top of that, I could both open the crawlspace up some, and
lessen the chances of the ducting getting clobbered again.

Has anyone here done such a thing, or am I about to undertake a task
fraught with danger and unnecessary expense?

Well if you burry them they will likely be better insulated, but it is
going to be a lot of work to do that in an area with that little access. I
would bet that in the long run, it will be far easier not to do it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit