Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

Default newbie solder question

In article , Smitty Two wrote:
In article 2jOzf.93171$AP5.22906@edtnps84,
"Dave" wrote:

I located two 470uF caps which differed in that one of them had zero
resistance which did not rise, even on the highest resistance scape of my
DMM, 20M ohm, as did all of the other caps. So, I figured I'd swap the two
identical caps (channel A and channel B). I tried using desoldering braid
(which I've used many times with great results) and found that the solder on
this board just wouldn't melt with my 30W iron. Well, says I , I'll just
use a bigger stick. I grabbed the 45W iron and still couldn't seem to melt
the solder through the braid, although the 45W iron WOULD melt the solder
directly. I heated each lead and wiggled and jiggled it loose. When I had
both caps removed I put the desoldering braid directly over the hole in the
PCB and with a pointed tip leaned on the board until the braid cleared up
the solder. This took maybe a minute or more of continuous heat.

Thanks

Dave

Liquid flux. If you solder, you need it. Liquid flux. If you desolder,
you need it. Liquid flux. Good solder braid is better than any sucker
I've ever used, with the exception of the heated, power suckers, which
are a tad pricy for the casual hobbyist. Liquid flux.

Did I mention liquid flux?

A minute of continuous heat? I'd recommend a better quality soldering
iron. You shouldn't be taking any longer than a second or two to solder,
and two or three to desolder, small components like that.

Also, get some liquid flux.

I would not be without my flux pen.

I never tried to make some. Just alcohol and regular
flux.

greg