Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband

Default ? Rack for Sheets

For a shop, what's a good kind of storage system for odd pieces of sheet
goods: plywood, particle board, paneling, etc.? In other words, what
kind of rack would be a good system? I suppose we have about 20 linear
feet of wall space to use, and we'll store along the wall in the rack
arrangement.

I store my plywood on edge in the corner of my shop. I built a stud wall
about 2 feet from the side wall, then stand my plywood sheets on end
between the two walls (I have 9-1/2' ceilings). They rest on PT 2x6's laid
flat on the floor to keep the edges off the concrete.

This system only takes up about 2'x4' of floor space, and I can easily flip
though the various sheets to find the one I need. Then it's easy to take a
single sheet out without moving the others.

I have several sheets of material, so everything is held vertically. And, I
don't usually have full sheets around very long to worry about warping.

I have a wheeled cart I store in front of the plywood sheets, so the space
doesn't go to waste. When I need a sheet of plywood, I simply wheel out the
cart, then pull out the sheet I need.

I've been real happy with this system.

Anthony