Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Twist and Bend?

"Tom Plamann" wrote in message
t...

Interesting post and responses.
Just to throw my two cents into the discussion....

I've never gone with the approach to hurry and 'get er dun' before the
wood starts to move. What's to stop the wood from moving after it's
assembled?
I normally mill my stock down and leave it oversized in thickness and
width. I let the stock sit on edge with no stickering or stacking for a
few days and let it move were ever it wants. Then I joint two adjoining
surfaces square and plane the stock to it's final dimension. If the stock
moved too much to use this method, I really don't want to use it anyway as
it would be the piece that racks the project. For interior door stile and
rails, I will oversize the glued up stock by 5/16" and let it sit without
pressure for a month or more.
I would rather have the wood move before I machine it rather than after.

Just another method to consider.

Tom Plamann

As usually Tom, the correct answer. Thinking back on what I said about my
wood moving when doing rails and stiles on interior doors, I had actually
forgotten why I try to assemble the doors quickly after cutting. I
indicated that the wood would bow after cutting. Actually after thinking
about it I seldom have a piece bow. The actual problem that I have is when
I cut the groves in the rails and stiles for the plywood panels to fit into.
In humid Houston if I do not assemble the same day I often have to taper
the edges of the panels with a sander so that they will again fit into the
slots in the rails and stiles.