Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Plamann

Default Twist and Bend?

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
Every time I start a project I am always concerned that my lumber (post
jointing and planing) will twist and bend before I can construct the
carcass. For my current project I am stacking my lumber with sticks in
between to allow for even moisture equilibration.

Should this be a 'real' concern? Or am I being overly cautious now?

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Interesting post and responses.
Just to throw my two cents into the discussion....

I've never gone with the approach to hurry and 'get er dun' before the wood
starts to move. What's to stop the wood from moving after it's assembled?
I normally mill my stock down and leave it oversized in thickness and width.
I let the stock sit on edge with no stickering or stacking for a few days
and let it move were ever it wants. Then I joint two adjoining surfaces
square and plane the stock to it's final dimension. If the stock moved too
much to use this method, I really don't want to use it anyway as it would be
the piece that racks the project. For interior door stile and rails, I will
oversize the glued up stock by 5/16" and let it sit without pressure for a
month or more.
I would rather have the wood move before I machine it rather than after.

Just another method to consider.

Tom Plamann