Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default Jog on a lathe

In article ,
lid says...
I bought a VFD and a 3-phase motor to update my semi-crappy lathe.

The VFD supports a jog function and the way I'm going to use it is to
have a switch for JOG on the control panel and then (in JOG mode) the
Run switch moves the motor at a very slow rate until the Run switch is
released.

I never saw a lathe that had a Jog feature. How do they typically work?
Do you press the Jog button and it moves, or is it more like in mine?

Jog seems useful. Never having seen it, I would guess a Jog button with
"move while pressed" would be the way it should work, but can't see any
way to make that happen with the capabilities of my VFD.

Which VFD are you using? The capabilities of the auxiliary inputs
available on most drives, which I assume is where you're connecting your
JOG selector, vary from drive to drive. The quality of the documentation
you need to decipher in order to figure out how to set up the inputs
varies even more. If the drive is from a mfr I'm familiar with I may be
able to suggest things to try.

Ned Simmons