Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chip

Default Oval conduit metal box + Q's..

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:22:40 GMT,it is alleged that T i m
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

Do you twist the earths together (or not) and sleeve as one or sleeve
individually?

Personally, I don't twist, but sleeve together.

Ok .. understood. With the 'double sleeving' solution wouldn't there
be more chance of some exposed earth core near the end of the outer
sheath whereas individually sleeving would allow the sleeving down
between the L / N cores and into the outer sheath?

I should probably have qualified: I double sleeve when the cables are
close enough for this not to happen :-)

But yes, it would be a worry if the 2 weren't side by side, if in
doubt, I sleeve everything individually.

Do we still *not* twist the conductors where they enter the screw
terminals in the back of the socket?

I was always taught not to twist, so I don't. I do however twist the
ENDS of the earth wires simply because it feels more solid, (1.5mm
earths on ring circuits usually if using T&E)

Understood

Does it matter if you use flex or solid between socket and metal box
(as long as it's the right colour and gauge etc)?

Flexible conduit cable is fine,

As in 'singles' ?

Yes, but also see Owain's sensible point, one that I'd missed:
flexibles may not grip well in combination with solid core, offcuts of
the normal 2.5 T&E earth cable should be fine.

the right gauge of *flex* may not be
correct though, due to voltage rating. In practice it's not going to
matter - especially on an earth - but it could fail an inspection.

Are you suggesting it *should* be flex Chip (ie *not* solid) ?

No, merely that if you do use flex, it should be a compliant type
(flexible conduit single, not stripped out flexible cord).

--
You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
- Indira Gandhi