Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Oval conduit metal box + Q's..

In message , T i m
writes
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:40:21 +0000, chris French
wrote:

And often oval conduit
will only require the plaster to be chased, rather than the brick or
blockwork as well.

These walls seem to have a very thin skim over a sand cement render of
(as yet) unknown thickness. I'm not too bothered about the depth of
cut as I will be using the wall chaser ;-)

I've never bothered to try to get the ovasl conduit to mate with the
backbox, I just terminate the conduit at the outside edge of the box

Understood Chris .. and by 'terminate' I don't really mean a real
engineering solution, just one where half the oval isn't looking at
some galv steel rather than hole?

That's east enough to arrange, usually I find it lines up ok, if not
little bit of packing does the job.

Ok, the reason for the conduit there is in the unlikely even you need
to replace the wiring it can be done without tearing slots up the
room. It's just here we have a clean slate, the tools and the chance
(for minor cost differences) to make a 'neat / easy' job of it?

I've replaced cables in oval conduit I've put in - as long as it matches
up with the conduit box hole enough so that plaster etc. doesn't hold it
in place.

It's also my thought that it might be easier to 'fill' a slightly
deeper chased slot filled with a round trunking *because* you have
more depth for any filler to attach to (someting wider and flatter
(and still plastic) being worse)?

no, sorry I think that's a load of rubbish :-)

I'm also doing 15 of such drops so I want it to be as predictable as
possible?

All the more reason for not over engineering it then....?
--
Chris French