Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Crack in the basement wall

I don't have any underground gutters, however, the soil in our area is
mostly clay so the water does not drain very well. We have a drench
drain,
but the water from it drains into the sump in our basement, so when it
rains
heavily, the sump pump works all the time. Funny thing is, despite the
clay,
most of the neighbors around me don't have this problem. As for the
crack,
I'll have to fix it. I am leaning towards hiring a pro and getting
advice
from him on overall solution

If the gutters go to downspouts that dump the water at the bottom of
the house....VERY BAD.

You need lines carrying the water well away from your home, either to a
low area or a dry well.

downspouts should never dump water near house.

fix that and your sump pump will run less.

the moving water can wash things out, on way to sump and cause settling