Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Testing Rechargeable Batteries with a Multimeter

I have several large 12V 7.5AH rechargeable batteries that were left to
me to power the automation system in the house. Problem is, the sytem
says the battery is low, and while I know one of the batteries is a new
one and therefore good, I don't know which one. I have a multimeter
and I'd like to use it to test the batteries to see which one is the
best to use in the system. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what
setting on the multimeter to set it to to test the battery.
Additionally, since the problem may be with the charger itself and the
batteries may be fine, the batteries may not be charged at all. Is
there some way to test to see if the batteries are good even if they
aren't charged?
thanks!