Posted to alt.home.repair
Jamie

Default heat pump question

My 2 ton heat pump outside unit (4yrs) was today making an unusual, low
pitched grinding sound. The fan was still turning, air was flowing. But the
inside furnace/ac unit (3yrs) was hot. The housing and pipes that do not
usually get hot had gotten very hot to the touch. I turned it off and left
it rest for 45 minutes. I cleaned the filter which was filthy. Fired it back
up and it has been fine all day. Can anyone tell me if the dirty clogged
filter was causing the sound/heat problem? Should I be worried about this?
Fire away.