Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Default Tread Mill Motor for Lathe?

Vega got a whole bunch of 1 horsepower (actual) treadmill motors and
controllers and offered them for $58 as I recall. I had to replace the
controller, but I have used the motor for about 2 years. They go down to
basically 0 rpm, unlike the frequency drive AC models. Vector AC drives do
go down to about zero speed, but cost a fortune. I love the motor. I would
never go back to single speed. I set it up with a forward/neutral/reverse
switch and a potentiometer for adjusting speed, both in a box that has
magnets on the back and can mount on anything metal. I also have three
pulley positions.

Derek