Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brooks Moses

Default What is it? XCVIII

wrote:
543: Seems like long ago an old timer pointed to one of those and said
it was a fencing tool. You looped the wire on one of the teeth and
levered it against whatever was handy to tighten the wire, and you
hammered staples with the hammerhead. How you held the wire tight while
you removed the puller and switched to the hammerhead is unclear.

That's not what I know as a "fencing tool", but it certainly looks like
it could be used for that.

The problem of tightening the wire and hammering in the staple at the
same time was one that happened with the fencing tool I know of, too.
What I remember doing was hammering the staple most of the way down over
the wire, and then pulling the wire tight and letting the staple do most
of the work of holding it there while I did the rest of the holding with
a gloved hand. Also, if you pull the wire tight in such a way that it
ends up wrapped partway around the fencepost, the friction against the
fencepost will help hold it tight.

Of course, I was about 12 at the time, so probably what happened more
often than not is that my father pulled the wire tight, and I used an
ordinary hammer to drive in the staple.

In any case, the hammerhead on a fencing tool of any sort is primarily
there for making occasionally repairs when you don't want to carry more
tools around; for actually building a fence, it makes a lot more sense
to use a proper hammer for the hammering.

- Brooks