Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Oval conduit metal box + Q's..

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:45:57 +0000, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
So, should we use 25mm wide trunking (plastered in the wall) for two
runs of 2.5mm T&E and (if enough room etc)

I'd run the chaser down the wall twice, bash out the ridge in the
middle, and put in 2 x ovals with a gap between them. Probably more
likely to hold plaster better when you make good.

Hmm .. 'two ovals'. With this chaser I'm gonna have to bash out the
ridge left between the blades anyway and if it's as dusty a job as you
guys suggest I think one pass will be sufficient thanks! As long as I
can get (easily / legally) 2 x 2.5mm T&E's up/down a ~1.5m length of
25mm oval I think I'll go with that.

and which of the 4 holes in
the top of the box would *you* bring the cables into (for a std double
socket) and why please?

The ones up to which you abut the ends of the ovals. That's probably
going to be the middle pair.

lol . I was thinking there might be an advantage say bringing the
cables in at the end rather than near the middle as they cables may
lay better in the box or summat?

Do 'people' use the grommets? (I asked him to get a box of them and
would use them myself anyway).

Of course :-)

Good ;-)

Do you twist the earths together (or not) and sleeve as one or sleeve
individually?

If the cables were coming through the same box hole the earths might be
sleevable as one, but as you'll be using separate holes and 2.5mm
probably better sleeving separately.

Ok. But even if run side-by-side would you sleeve the earths
separatly?

Do we still *not* twist the conductors where they enter the screw
terminals in the back of the socket?

I'm a twister. Opinions vary.

"Twisting the wire a-way .. twisting .. twisting .." em .. ar ..
sorry ;-(

Although if you thread the cable through before beginning you might
manage without cutting the conductors at all.

Hmm .. I have done that before and I like the concept .. just a bit
more effort required to get it right.

Does it matter if you use flex or solid between socket and metal box
(as long as it's the right colour and gauge etc)?

Yes, flex and cable in the same terminal probably won't hold a firm
connection. Anyway, why buy flex when you'll have plenty of offcuts of
earth from your reel of 2.5mm.

Yep, good point .. noted ;-)

I dare say the sparks will (should) know all this when he comes to do
the main hook-up / testing etc but I'd like to make sure the
background stuff is as right as it can be please?

Do check for continuity end to end and polarity at the sockets before
the sparky comes. Less embarrasing if you find your own faults first.

Indeed. I generally work fairly methodically, checking each move /
step as I go so generally I check for mistakes as I go. Still might do
the test as you suggest though.

Al the best ..

T i m