Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Student

Default Crack in the basement wall

In our concrete basement wall the crack runs from the top of the wall where
it is widest - about 1/8", to a hairline crack 6' down.

My local hardware store sells a SikaFix kit for $Cdn 60. The kit includes
polyurethane mix which is to be injected through included plastic ports
using a caulking gun. I think I understand the principle, however the
concern is: will the pressure from the caulking gun be enough to drive the
polyurethane deep enough to properly seal the crack (I know it expands, but
still...). My local contractor is asking $350 for this job with a 10 year
warranty.

- Would you advise for or against hiring a contractor?
- Does contractor use high pressure injection that would result in a better
seal?
- Did anyone try the SikaFix or similar product, and how were the results?

Thanks.