Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Can I cast my own concrete retaining wall?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:05:32 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to mm :
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:00:42 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I suggest you need a local professional to take a look at your lot and
plan. Retaining walls, especially when built on unstable ground tend to be
unstable.

I'm trying to remember where there is one I see regularly that is
leaning 10 degrees now. I wonder how long, decades? until it falls
over.

It might be. It may be a lot less than that.

I've seen brick/concrete pillars fall over on perfectly level
ground within 2-3 years. They didn't have footings, and didn't have
any lateral pressure except wind on the fencing they were trying
to hold up.

I used to think that tombstones just sat on the ground, but apparenly
they have a footer that goes ??? how far into the ground.

Some may well have footers. But there's rather a large difference
between a smallish free-standing tombstone only having to worry about a
bit of wind, and one 4' high, 100' long, trying to hold back unknown tons
worth of wet sand on one side doing its damndest to push it over.

Of course. I wasn't trying to understand retaining walls in these
terms. I guess I was changing the sujbect and trying to learn about
tombstones, if anyone here knows more about what is underneath them,
and if it's common or not to have one long footer for 10 or 15 stones.

You're _way_ over your head if your understanding is at this level.

Start he

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...taining_walls/

Pay close attention to the stuff on drainage etc.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.