Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default newbie solder question

default wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:33:18 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Well back in the "old days" we used "eyelets" - didn't have plated
through holes for circuit boards. The eyelets were just miniature one
part hollow rivets - or similar to grommets used in sails or
tarpaulins. That would be an ideal fix if you burnt the plating off.

I think I'll solder to the trace on the other side of the board, just means
that the cap won't sit flush anymore but that's okay, lots of room in the
enclosure.

Solder Wick for single sided boards - solder sucker for double sided
boards.

Yes, must buy solder sucker. It's on my list now.

Regarding the amp. Have you checked the DC voltages between the
channels?

No. Do you mean between the channel A and channel B signal outputs with no
signal applied to the inputs? If there WAS a DC voltage differential what
might this tell me? Failed coupling cap? There are no output caps, the amp
output pin (see below) goes straight to the center pin of the RCA jack on
the back.

Is this a single supply or plus and minus supplies?

Both the amp and bass/treble/volume/balance IC's run off +Vcc.

TO220 -
five lead power op amp? built in thermal, short circuit, and safe
operating area protection? I assume you only have one chip per
channel (or "bridged" with two chips per channel?)

One chip per channel. They're LM1875T's, yes they have built-in thermal,
short circuit, etc. As I noted I have already replaced the one on the bad
channel (they are a TO-220 package).

If you can identify the chip and its input(S), you might try using a
capacitor to bridge signal from the working channel's input into the
input of the dead channel. (observing polarity if using an
electrolytic). Unplug the input to the dead channel while testing if
possible. The cap size will be 10 uf or less for a high impedance
audio stage input. That should localize the problem between the input
or output of the power amp chip.

Does it matter if I use an electrolytic or not? See pinout below, but I'd
connect pin 1 of channel A (working) to pin 1 of channel B (dead). If I do
use electrolytics, which end is positive, A or B? Why do I need to use a
capacitor to bridge as opposed to a wire?

If it is like the TO220's I'm using, there's a differential input
(inverting and non-inverting) inputs - make sure you drive the correct
one).

Here's the pinout:

1 +IN
2 -IN
3 -V(EE)
4 OUTPUT
5 V(CC)

From what I can see, pin 1 is signal in, pin 2 is used as the negative
feedback loop, being connected to pin 4 via a 20K resistor. There are no
coupling caps on the outputs.

One assumes you switched speakers at some point.
--

Yes, first thing I tried.