Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave

Default newbie solder question

"Mr. Land" wrote in message
oups.com...
Give up using the braid...that stuff sucks (or, rather, it doesn't).
Get yourself a solder sucker if you're going to do stuff like this.

As I noted before I've used the braid quite a bit in the past and found it
to work well... but will pick up a sucker anyways as obviously I need it.

BTW, if I had an audio power amp that didn't work, I think the caps
would be near the end of my list of things to check. Start with the
power (aka output) transistors and work your way backwards. Unless
this is a really esoteric unit, both channels probably share the power
supply, so if one channel is working, you can probably assume that's OK.

I did start at the output transisters and replaced them all on the bad
channel (they're all on an integrated 20W amp chip, NS LM1875). I swapped
the caps in an effort to avoid trying to source a 10-year-old base/treble IC
which is likely the problem. Other than the output IC's, mixer IC, and
rectifier, there ain't a whole lot on the board except caps and resistors.
Resistors all checked out OK, move on to electrolytics... No?