Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Wobbly vertical edges on iiyama Vision Master crt monitor

"Alex" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have an iiyama Vision Master Pro 512 (HA202-DT) 22" crt monitor. The
image is distorted, giving wobbly vertical edges. The distortion is not
static, but is continuously moving, resulting in an unstable picture.
Photographs of the problem are available he

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=7H37HISF

The amount of distortion is controllable with the moire compensation
control, but the control range is insufficient to eliminate it
completely. Furthermore, the distortion becomes worse over (operating)
time.

From a google search, I get the impression this might be due to bad
(dried) filter caps or general low-power-supply malfunction. But I'm
not sure this is the correct cause.

My questions:

1) Is this a well known problem, if so, what is it called (for further
googling)? Is there documentation available on this issue?

No idea. It's common enough in general though

2) What's the most probable cause?

My guess- ripple on the B+ supply.

3) Is it easily fixable? How?

Most likely the capacitor(s) which filter the supply to the horizontal
section need replacing. Straightforward enough job for anyone who has
serviced monitors or TVs.

Dave