John Flanagan

Default Why do auto darken hoods say no use for gas welding?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:14:47 GMT, "Statics"
wrote:

I was going to ask you about the Nexgens. Someone (was it you?) said there
were only two hoods good for low power tig - Nexgen and another. Wondered
if the sensitivity was good enough for gas.

What did you mean by "goo for low power tig?" I have a Speedglas
helmet. I've noticed it will trigger at 50 amps while welding sheet
aluminum but that it's near impossible to see the puddle at all (and a
fast moving puddle it is!). I haven't played with it much but I would
suspect the difficulty is that the darkness needs adjusting, it
triggers fine. Maybe the batteries need replacing.... When you say
low power what amp level are you talking about?

Wasn't there some sort of special lens made by some small company just
for aluminum welding that would allow you to see the puddle better?
It cut out the yellow light better or something like that?

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.