Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Surely gas has now overtaken oil as most expensive fuel?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Electricity is largely generated
from natural gas anyway, so is also rising.

No, From coal.

Largely gas these days. Coal is much worse than gas for global warming.
Better that it stays in the ground. The switch from coal to gas is largely
responsible for the UK's reasonable record on CO2 emissions.

http://www.ecoworld.org/Home/Articles2.cfm?TID=379

40% from coal the biggest single fuel.

industry out of sheer spite. The 'Dash fro Gas', it was called. Coal

mines
with many years of coal in them closed down. If coal was used to
generate
electricity and gas reserved for domestic and some industry, then we
would
not be in the situation we are now in.

So you agree it is largely gas, then!

No. they squandered gas needlessly, when they knew the supply was limited.
Coal could have been used only for power generation, and burned cleanly with
new technology. The coal is now under the ground and unable to be extracted
again. Wasted. 20 years ago the government could have insisted in high
insulation levels to reduce consumption of energy. It is no secret. We are
now paying the price for the wasting Thatcher years.

The sooner we run out of fossil fuels,
the better. Imminent running out
leads to greater investment in
alternatives and means we still might have a
planet left before it happens.

You might be right. But in the meantime how many die of cold related
illness? Hypothermia, etc, untill it is all sorted.