Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Fenster

Default Verizon FiOS Service

I just wanted to post my experience with Verizon FiOS service.

I recently had the service installed.

The service included local and long distance telephone, 5Mbit Internet and a
Digitial Cable like TV service.

0) Background
I moved into my house in 1999. Since then I have had Antenna,
DirecTV, Digital Cable and Analog cable for TV Service.
I moved to Cable modem in 2000 or so.

1) Install.
Please allow an ENTIRE day for the install. The first tech arrived at
my house at 9.30am. The last tech left my house at 7.30pm.
That was a bit of a surprise. They had told me that install could
take between 4-6 hours, but i did not expect 8.
To add to that, when the video tech's left at 8, i still did not
have TV service. They had to come back the next day to fix that.
They blamed the video problem on third party (of course).
The tech that came back the next day was able to get the video
service up and running in about 30-45 minutes.

As a part of the install, they must first add an ONT (optical network
termnial) to the outside of your house. From there, they must
add another network terminal inside your house and then a battery
backup to that network terminal. They have mounted both
of these inside the house. They then add wireless firewall/router
to your exisitng home network (even if you already have one).

The battery backup is required to keep the phone running in case of
power outage. When there is power outage, you will lose internet and
TV, regardless of whether or not you have their equipment plugged
into your own UPS.

2) The Service
The phone service is transparent. Nothing is different.
The internet service seems faster than cable, but its hard to tell. I
just ran DSL Reports speed test.
It indicated that my download was only 481, but my upload was 1505. I
may have to tweak.

The video service
Pretty much the same as all the digital TV services. Video on
Demand and all that. Picture is very clear. On screen guide is not
as good was what i remember from my DirecTV, but that may be
receiver dependedent.
For VOD, there are no movies on VOD unless you subscribe to one of
the movie packages (HBO/Showtime/Stars). And the Kids VOD has
some interesting things, however unless they change regularly, my
kids will probably get bored of them.

If you have addl TV's you can hook them up with out the converter
box. You will get local channels. Very similar to Cable in my area. Much
better than DirecTV.

The universal remote that comes with the Digital Box is pretty good.
One problem is it can either run your DVD or your VCR, but not both.

3) The Cost
I was told my bottom line would be about 105 + tax. (I only have one TV
with Digital Box). I compare that to the 150 i was paying for all of these
services prior the change.

4) Review
Aside from the Install, i am happy so far. Mostly everything is
transparent, so i do not notice much of a difference. It will take a while
to get
use to new channels, but that is the case with any new system.