Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Well Odors....tired of Chlorox!

The first thing to do is to find out EXACTLY what's in your water. It isn't
good enough to just think it's iron bacteria, Insist on seeing the report,
and be positive that the water was tested at a time when it WASN'T being
treated. If you can't be sure of that, then get it tested yourself (also at
a time when there is no chemical being added). Find a local INDEPENDENT lab
that's not trying to sell you some equipment.
Most good labs have different levels of testing, ranging from coliform, up
to hazardous chemicals. Some of them will want to come out to take the
sample, and some will provide you with a sterile bottle that you can fill
and bring back to them. Whoever takes the water sample, they must run the
water for at least 5 minutes (at the tap closest to the well).
Do not involve your local board of health. They are usually only concerned
with coliform, and if they find any, they might temporarily shut the well
down.

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
You can't just guess at what's in the water, get it tested at a lab. It
could be anything. A water softener will only get out hardness.

Understood Bob. My neighbors are all on the same well basically and had

it
tested. I thought I remembered it being "Iron Bacteria". I suppose I
should look for a reasonably priced lab anyway..... Regardless, assuming
it is this iron bacteria, is there any way to remove it without shocking

the
system with chlorine?
Cheers,
cc