jim rozen

Default Identify old lathe?

In article , Fdmorrison says...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2555612296&category=12 72

The bed and feet look very early--1880s?
The large pulley step with indexing is not flipped to the left side of the
steps, as was usual for instrument/watchmaker's lathes. And why the horiz slot
on the tailstock?

That's right about the cone pulley being flipped around.
Maybe it would be to make the underneath drive easier,
the slots cut in the headstock were apparently designed
to pass the leather belt, at least in two of the pulley
positions.

The slot in the tailstock I would suspect is there to
allow the ram to clamp up, they must be using the
flex of the casting to grab the ram. I've seen
these with a slot that runs out the end of the
casting, never one closed-ended like that before.
The fit of the ram in the casting would have to have
been very precise to allow this to work.

Jim

please reply to: