Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

Default plan drawings and RSJs

Ben Micklem wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning on drawing my own plans for a rear extension. If it's within
our budget, we would like to support a section of the existing rear wall
with an RSJ. Also, the neighbours have removed their chimney breast in the
back room using another RSJ- makes for a much nicer open plan space.
Unfortunately, their building firm is no longer trading- other builders I
have contacted want plans drawn before meeting to discuss things.

I was wondering whether anyone had experience of the costs involving in
using RSJs- the neighbour has theirs positioned so that they cannot be seen-
i.e. above the level of the ceiling. This looks really good- is it
expensive? Same for the chimney breast? We are in Oxford, if there are
regional price differences. The house is a 1930's semi, 3 bed.

I am fairly competent at Adobe Illustrator, and was thinking of doing the
plans to the scales required by planning and building regs, and having them
printed on a large format printer. Has anyone got good or bad experiencesof
trying to do their own plans?

Thanks,

Ben

You could do it, but ensure that your measurements are accurate and the
plans to scale and proportion or else you find that things don't quite
work out when the builder comes to do the work and he charges extra for
dayworks.

You also need to have a good idea about how a building is put together,
so that you don't specify a design that will cost you more to build
than it should. Its the details which make the difference.

Also remember that there may be structural calculation required- which
you may have to pay extra for.

A new steel in the lounge is going to cost between £1500 and £2500 -
depending on how much demolition, support and making good is required.

dg