Jon Elson

Default FluidMaster (toilet repair) Responds my complaint

Roy wrote:

I get about 2 or 3 years out of them myself. The biggest problem maker
for me is the flapper valves, no matter what brand I buy only lasts 6
to 9 months MAX. The thing just starts to curl up on the edges and
leaks. I now keep 2 or 3 of them in the shop as spares.

I wasn't sure whether he was talking about the fill valve or the
flapper. The flappers also last a long time, 12 years at least. I have
replaced only one that I put in here in our new (to us) house, and it
had been in there a long time. So, it must be something in the water.
There is a state (MO) law that all utility water must be neutralized
so it is not acid, to prevent leaching of lead from pipes.

Jon