Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Can I cast my own concrete retaining wall?

Even if there's no chance of freezing, a foundation of some kind is needed
to stabilize anything that heavy. Concrete weight varies depending on
density, but even if you figure 125# per cubic ft., a 1' x 4' x 100' wall
will be 50,000 lbs. Put that together with water pressure from rain, and
you've got an accident waiting to happen without a proper base.

"Tony Sinclair" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:56:16 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

You'll have to pour a foundation, or it will fall over.

I thought a foundation was only necessary when the soil was
susceptible to cracking or freezing. Neither is the case here. Pure
sand, and it very rarely gets below freezing. Or above 75, for that
matter. Does that make any difference?