Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Sinclair

Default Can I cast my own concrete retaining wall?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:39:52 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Couple of thing to do it right. You need a footing. Depending on local
regulation, that may be 12" to 48" so check that out. Footings are easy,
pretty much filling up a big hole and leveling the top. I'd use a reddi mix
truck for that so it can be done in one pour.

Thanks, I will check into it. There is no room for a truck to get
back there, though. Can they extend their chutes 100 feet?

If you want to mix yourself, you can probably find a used mixer at
reasonable cost.

As I said to another person, I didn't know I needed a mixer. Is it
impossible to mix concrete by hand, even in very small batches? I am
pretty strong.

Check local regulations. You don't want the building inspector make you tear
it out for some silly reason that you missed.

Hadn't even occurred to me. Thank you.

In addition tot he sand, you need some gravel. There are books and charts
to give you the right proportions for the mix.

I thought I read that you can just use sand. Guess I have to read
some more.

I have heard of people doing what you intend to do and though it took time,
it can be done. Lots of work hauling the sand and gravel though.

The sand is already right there. If I need gravel, that will be a
problem, but not a big one. I can have them dump some in front of my
house, and move it back one block's worth at a time.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.