Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Can I cast my own concrete retaining wall?

"Tony Sinclair" wrote in message
I live on the Oregon coast, and my lot is almost pure sand. It is
about four feet above the lot next door, so I need a retaining wall to
keep my sand from sliding into the neighbor's yard.

My idea is to pour the concrete myself. I've never done it before,
but I already have a lot full of sand, so I'm thinking that if I just
do a few trial runs to figure out how much cement and water to mix
with the sand, I can cast the blocks in place. It seems to me that
all I would need would be a rectangular wooden form, and I could make
it a lot bigger than a typical landscape block,

Couple of thing to do it right. You need a footing. Depending on local
regulation, that may be 12" to 48" so check that out. Footings are easy,
pretty much filling up a big hole and leveling the top. I'd use a reddi mix
truck for that so it can be done in one pour.

If you want to mix yourself, you can probably find a used mixer at
reasonable cost.

Check local regulations. You don't want the building inspector make you tear
it out for some silly reason that you missed.

In addition tot he sand, you need some gravel. There are books and charts
to give you the right proportions for the mix.

I have heard of people doing what you intend to do and though it took time,
it can be done. Lots of work hauling the sand and gravel though.