Dave Baker

Default Boring, Lathe or Mill?

Subject: Boring, Lathe or Mill?
From: "larry g"
Date: 04/09/03 01:02 GMT Daylight Time
I have an upcoming need to bore a 1.125" hole in a 2x2x3" brass block. I
have a Logan 10" lathe and a small Index mill with power feed on the quill.
My question is which machine would I expect to do the job with greatest
accuracy? I have a Criterion type boring head for the mill and proper
boring tools for the lathe. TIA
lg
no neat sig line

There's a simple rule. Given the choice you always do one off work on the
machine that has adjustment built in to the machine and not the cutting tool.
So boring is a lathe job not a milling job.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish,
unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.