Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan@home

Default Electrochemical polishing at home

Thanks for answering.
If I go to a shop they will laugh at me...
The reason is that my parts (watch screws) are so tiny, about 1mm
long.
I would try electroless chemical polishing at home (I don't have more
that 6 at a time) but I don't know the composition of the acid bath.
Can you please help?
Thanks,
Dan

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:59:18 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

I believe it's Stainless Steel; I need to chemically polish the slot
in the head which is not accessible otherwise.

Big problem is that electropolishing doesn't like to penetrate down
holes, and is very good at rounding off sharp edges like you probably
have at the edge of your slot. You don't get significant polishing past
about 10-20% of the diameter down a hole, and deeper than that (down to
maybe 50% of the diameter) you can actually roughen and degrade the
surface as the current density falls off below what gives good
polishing. Don't know where you live but most any big city will have a
few electroplating/electropolishing shops. Take your part for a visit
and let a pro look at it in person.