DoN. Nichols

Default Boring, Lathe or Mill?

In article ,
larry g wrote:
I have an upcoming need to bore a 1.125" hole in a 2x2x3" brass block. I
have a Logan 10" lathe and a small Index mill with power feed on the quill.
My question is which machine would I expect to do the job with greatest
accuracy? I have a Criterion type boring head for the mill and proper
boring tools for the lathe. TIA

Hmm ... do you have a 4-jaw chuck for the lathe? I presume that
you're going through the block the long way. How long is the spindle
travel on the mill? If it is shorter than the length of the bore (3"
here, I presume), then the lathe is probably the better choice, if you
have the 4-jaw. You *could* do it by cranking the knee up. (The index
mill does have a knee, doesn't it?)

Lacking discovering that some limitation will make it more
difficult on one of the tools (e.g. quill travel on the mill), use
whichever machine you're more comfortable with if the job is important
and you don't have spare stock. Otherwise, you might consider it a
learning experience on the other machine.

Personally, I would probably use the lathe, but that is just
personal preference.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564