Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default defrosting windscreen

In message , Roger
writes
The message
from "someone here" contains these words:

Ice is a lattice structure (like a diamond), and it takes energy for
the molecules to move into the lattice. In hot water, the molecules
are moving rapidly, and can therefore form the lattice quicker than
cold molecules which have very little energy.

Are you suggesting that ice forms at temperatures above zero degrees
Centigrade?

I don't think he is, but water at zero degrees does not have to be ice, it
can still be liquid.
In fact super cooled water is liquid at negative degrees.
Put a solid into the liquid and the resulting current provides enough energy
for the molecules to lattice up
and form ice.

But if the water is hot first it has to cool. Once cooled its molecules
have lost that rapidity of motion the previous poster refers to above.

Also water does strange things between zero and four degrees centigrade,
explains why my fish pond doesn't freeze solid.

AIUI water is at its most dense at 4C so ice forms on the surface.
However given a severe enough frost you fish pond would freeze solid.

FSVO severe

like ... very (well, as we brits might define it)

--
geoff