Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Mineral stain? on crystal vase

It sounds like the rough band is lime or a similar mineral. Vinegar is
probably the safest thing to use, but it could take several applications.
Vinegar is like soap, in that the more dirt you have, the more soap you
need. It becomes neutralized, and you have to add fresh vinegar. If that
doesn't work, then try what andy said about the Lime Away, but find out
first if it will damage the crystal. Try contacting Waterford
http://www.waterford.com/shop/article.asp?id=14

"JustDave" wrote in message
.. .
My wife has a Waterford crystal vase in which we keep cut flowers in a
solution of water and the little packets of 'keep fresh' stuff the grocer
includes with the flowers. The vase has developed an inch wide band of

rough
feeling, hazy crystal at the water line. I've tried scrubbing, soaking

with
vinegar, and soaking for several hours with CLR - all with no discernable
improvement.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

JustDave