Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filling in gap around punched rail

leo's comments are correct. though i was able to put down a decent
weld on underside of the bottom rails i still have to worry about
water coming in from the top of the underside rail. in some cases i
need to worry more so as if water gets into the bottom rail it has no
way to drain out.

hmm roofing cement. is that paintable? since this is not painted yet
i was thinking the bondo or jb weld would hold the paint better.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
How is it that the punched holes in the top rail don't fit closely, and the
bottom ones do (fit)? The weld you are making on the bottom side could be
leaving you vulnerable to the same problem you are worried about on top.

If you really don't have a problem with gaps in the fit on the bottom rail,
then I have an idea, but it may be too late if the rail is already assembled
and welded. I was going to suggest that you smear black roofing cement in
the top joint, and weld only the bottom joint. If you are planning on doing
any more lengths of railing, you might consider this.