Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default [OT] Coffeepot temperature

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:38:13 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:58:52 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

And I know at least one exiled Englishman that has a real 220-volt
teakettle, for which he had a special UK 220 volt outlet installed in
the kitchen. I recall that they work something like three times faster
than 110 volts.

I'm not an exiled Brit, but I do have one of those kettles: T-Fal
Vitesse Gold. The UK outlet is right next to the 220 volt air
compressor. At 2750 -3000 watts it's probably not three times as fast
as a 1500 watt 110-volt kettle, but it's still pretty quick. If I
start it before grinding the coffee and loading the filter, it's
boiling when I'm ready to pour.

So, how do you explain the UK outlet and kettle?

What's to explain? It's simply the fastest way I have at hand to
heat water for whatever purpose. It heats water RFN.

I use it for making "good" afternoon coffee with a Melitta filter --
"good" as differentiated from the morning "utility" coffee that is
made in a Krups coffeemaker.

I'll have to try this (but with a teakettle on the stove). The
difference has to be the water temperature.

I think the difference is less one of water temp than the coffee
and brewing process. I think boiling water is boiling water however
it ges boiled. Others may disagree, They're probably right.

My first-of-day getcherassingear "utility" coffee is stuff from a
can from the grocery store, brewed by Mr. Krups while I'm brushing
such teeth as I can find at zero dark hundred or only slightly past
noon, whatever.

Afternoon savor coffee is ground beans of "Velvet Hammer" blend from
Bob's. I don't know what that blend is, but I think the name is
quite descriptive and I like it. Milady does too. I present it to
her, when she's here in-country , in her favorite small cup, "ruined"
just as she likes it with sugar and cream. We enjoy that little
ritual. She does me good too. We're a small team forged over two
decades. We're each and both gentle retired folk now, the "nice old
folks that live next door".