Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Annetts

Default Specialized Drill Bit

check out one of those step drills. the angle might not be perfect but it
might just work. they cut very fast and easy to control the depth
Mike
"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
Or at least one that is semi-specialized.

I need to drill holes in 1/4" thick metal rails, top and bottom to put new
pickets in. The design the owners like best involves a countersunk screw
on the top rail.

What's the best way?

1. Is there likely to be a bit for metal that will combine drilling the
through hole and the countersink part, the same way there is for wood?

2. If not, I can do the operation in two steps-the through hole first,
then the countersink portion.

3. In either case, how do I control for depth for the countersink part,
so the top of the screw ends up being flush, or nearly so, within paint
thickness?

4. Also, the countersink should have the same angle as the screw itself.
How difficult will it be to match?

5. Any suggestions for suppliers? HD and similar stores probably won't
have the bits I need.

Thanks,

charles