Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default [OT] Coffeepot temperature

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:58:52 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

And I know at least one exiled Englishman that has a real 220-volt
teakettle, for which he had a special UK 220 volt outlet installed in
the kitchen. I recall that they work something like three times faster
than 110 volts.

I'm not an exiled Brit, but I do have one of those kettles: T-Fal
Vitesse Gold. The UK outlet is right next to the 220 volt air
compressor. At 2750 -3000 watts it's probably not three times as fast
as a 1500 watt 110-volt kettle, but it's still pretty quick. If I
start it before grinding the coffee and loading the filter, it's
boiling when I'm ready to pour.

So, how do you explain the UK outlet and kettle?

I use it for making "good" afternoon coffee with a Melitta filter --
"good" as differentiated from the morning "utility" coffee that is
made in a Krups coffeemaker.

I'll have to try this (but with a teakettle on the stove). The
difference has to be the water temperature.

Joe Gwinn