Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John2005

Default Questions regarding thread diameter and pitch for special design case with limited thread length

Hi Tomcas,

Thanks for your feedack,

A 1/4-28 thread would probably give me one more thread than a 5/16-24
thread. Also, as you point out, the 1/4-28 would also give a little
extra wall or contact area where the necked down portion of the rod
makes contact with the support.

The main reason I considered 32 threads per inch is just to get more
threads on the short length.

I hate to take the extra step of putting the set screw in (or possibly
a dowel pin) just becasue it's an extra manufacturing step.

Perhaps the 1/4-28 thread would be better than the 5/16-24, just
because of the extra thread ?

Thanks again for your feedback.
John