Posted to alt.home.repair
commo1982

Default Questions about vinyl cove molding

Hello All,

I have some questions regarding the installation of vinyl cove molding
that I hope somebody might answer for me.

To be specific, I need to replace some old vinyl cove molding in a
bathroom that was very badly installed by some contractors about ten
years ago. It is easy to pull the old molding off of the wall but the
problem is that the guys who did the job used a very dark glue sticky
glue that seeped up over the top of the molding but never really held
very well. What is worse is that the plaster surface behind the molding
is very chipped and uneven in some places and they never even tried to
smooth it out. In other spots there are clumps of glue that make the
molding ripple. What a mess.

What I was planning to do is this: 1) pull off the old molding, 2)
scrape off the old glue with a putty knife, 3) spackle the damaged
sections and sand the other parts as necessary, 4) then install the new
molding.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Is there one particular glue
that would be best to use? Is there anything that I'm missing here?
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions as to a better way that
you might be able to offer. I truly do appreciate the help.

Regards,

Christopher