Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band saw comparisons

I'm not so pleased with my Grizzly 0555. I consider it to be a
modest saw at a mediocre price with poor customer service.

I ordered the band saw, riser block kit and mobile base on Sunday
Jan. 8th. and received the order on Thu. Jan. 13th ( which I thought
was pretty good delivery). Unfortunately, the riser kit was missing
the guidepost.

Since then I made 3 phone calls to Grizzly customer support, spoken
with 5 people and received no indication or assurances of when I might
expect to receive the missing part. The one manager I spoke with was
unable to provide any information beyond "we've started the paperwork"
and that multiple signatures were required before he could even know
when they would be able to ship the missing part. "It could take 2 or
3 days, it could take 2 or 3 weeks" was what he said. When I asked if
there was someone else I could call he indicated that the only recourse
left to me was to send an email to . Apparently the
missing guidepost is backordered and for whatever reason, they wouldn't
just ship me another riser kit ( I dunno, maybe all of the riser kits
are missing the guideposts, sigh...)

It wasn't until I called back ( my 4th call ) and asked to return the
saw that I got any "service" from Grizzly customer service. My missing
guidepost is supposed to arrive tomorrow, though at this point I'm not
particularly optimistic that the correct part will indeed arrive on my
doorstep in the near future.

My decision to purchase this saw was made, in part, on what I have
read in this group concerning the G0555, as well as various kudos to
Grizzly's customer support. All I can say is that Grizzly must have
made some recent and significant changes to their customer support
processes. Either that, or I've somehow wandered into the Twilight
Zone. The level of customer support that I've experienced so far bears
no resemblence to what I've previously read about this company in this
group.

I've used it to resaw 2x12's and to rip some smaller stock. The most
positive thing that I can saw about this saw is that it does appear to
be very well balanced. It's apparent that the wheels have been well
balanced, there is very little vibration in the machine. Having said
that, it really is not capable of tensioning a 3/4" blade properly,
though I was able to achieve some modest results resawing with a 1/2"
blade.