Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default Filling in gap around punched rail

In article . com,
says...

My concern is that there the punched rail hole is slightly larger then
the picket size. Most of the picket sit really tight into the top rail
however some have a small gap around the rail, one that I think will be
too big to get filled by the paint. I dont want water to be able to
leak down into this gap. My welding skill are not to the point where I
think I can make a good looking weld around the top of the picket.
Well I can make a decent weld but because the pickets are only 4 inches
apart it is tough for me to get a grinder in there and clean them up.

The last thing you want is a crevice where water will stand. IMO you'd
be better off with a gap big enough for the water to run thru rather
than a filler that at some point is going to seperate from the steel. If
you don't feel confident sealing the joint with a good weld, leave the
gaps open.

Ned Simmons