Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol

Default Rayburn efficiency?

Andy Hall wrote:
Cooking between 1 and 3 meals per day from basic ingredients does not
strike me as unusual.

Hmm. This thread is quite intriguing. We have various MEN arguing about
the merits( or otherwise) of cooking in a particular manner. When do
these people find time to do any real diy? Cooking is for women, it's
something some of them do really well, particularly when they know their
place in the scheme of things.

Incidentally, I always understood that traditional Yorkshire non suet
puddings were stodgy, is it only in recent years that they have become
crispy and light? The suet pudding I used to get in Yorkshire was always
totally solid, not a scrap of air in the pastry, I was informed that
this was the correct way to build up a reasonable waist line to allow
lots of hard work. I write only as a food consumer. LOL

Personally I know of very few men(thinking more about it, NONE) who
cook even one meal a day from basic ingredients. A few women may do so,
but only on occasional days. After all, this is why the fish and chip
shop was invented, together with all the modern derivatives.

I am not an Aga person, I find them warm to stand beside in winter, but
a bit of a pain to use in the real world. Rather like the coal fired
stoves of my childhood. ( Which were a definite fire hazard to small
children as I can testify from family history.) However, if you do want
one of these objects, buying one second hand can be a good economic
proposition, with a few years of inflation, you can then sell it on to
another mug and probably show a profit. Progressing to buying a proper
cooker with an eye level oven and grill, and not a style, I would regard
as a sign of great experience and maturity.

Regards
Capitol