Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
CJT

Default Insulating around attic fan

wrote:

I'd:
1) Remove the monster fan, close & insulate its hole.
2) Install thermostatically controlled attic exhaust fan, ensuring
adequate air inlet area; this will cool attic and reduce
shingle-roasting. Reduces heat-load below, of course.

I use an attic exhaust fan and I think it helps, but it's not a
slam-dunk when it comes to energy savings, because they use a
surprisingly large amount of electricity (partly because they run
a long time, at least here in Texas, for any reasonable setting
of the thermostat).