Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Strange Screws

According to Keith Williams :
In article ,
says...
According to Keith Williams :

There was an article here once called "my outlaw toilet". Maybe it's
hiding screwdrivers.

If I need one, it's across the borDER to Canuckistan. Hmm, I guess
I'll need a passport...

The only reason why we have phillips screwdrivers is because _you_
guys use 'em. If it wasn't for that southern influence, it'd
all be Robertson or better.

AIUI the Robertson patent licenses were deemed too expensive. I've
used Roberson head screws whenever possible for about thirty years.
Unfortunately, they're not ubiquitous. Note, Robertsons aren't
perfect (clutch and Torx are better, though more expensive).

There have been non-Robertson square drive screws and drivers available
for quite some time. They're so interoperable it's seldom possible
to tell them apart so we call them _all_ Robertson - but many of them
aren't really. Patent-wise at least.

[Unlike the umpty-ump versions of Phillips which all behave noticably
differently.]

Strictly speaking, McFeeley's (for example) sells square drive in the US,
not Robertson.

So, if you banned 'em, we'd probably all gladly toss our phillips
drivers out.

BTW, I was referring to the 1.6Gal flush and "outlaw" toilets, not
the screwdrivers.

Either way ;-)

Americans don't need a passport to come to Canada. The problem
is getting _back_ into the US.

Aw, you don't want us to go home? Well, that is sorta the problem.
;-)

Actually, it's US immigration that gets sticky about southward travel
without a passport - even of their _own_ citizens. We're happy to be
rid of you.

just joking
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est